- A decision support database that is maintained separately from the organization’s operational database.
- Support information processing by providing a solid platform of consolidated, historical data for analysis.
- Data warehousing defined as –
- Organized around major subjects, such as customer, product, sales.
- Focusing on the modeling and analysis of data for decision making, not on daily operations or transaction processing.
- Provide a simple and concise view around particular subject by excluding data that are not useful in the decision support process.
- Constructed by integrating multiple, heterogeneous data sources as relational databases, flat files, on-line transaction records.
- Providing data cleaning and data integration techniques.
- Time variant
- The time horizon for the data warehouse is significantly longer than that of operational systems.
- Every key structure in the data warehouse contains an element of time (explicitly or implicitly).
- A physically separate store of data transformed from the operational environment.
- Does not require transaction processing, recovery, and concurrency control mechanisms.
- Requires only two operations in data accessing: initial loading of data and access of data (no data updates).
Posted by Vissicomp Technology Pvt Ltd
For more http://www.vissicomp.com