- Zener diode works on reverse bias or in zener region the voltage across it is substantially constant for a large change of current through it. This characteristic permits the zener diode to be used as a voltage regulator.
- The zener diode maintains a constant voltage across the load spite of any change in load current or input voltage. Above figure is a very simple voltage regulator circuit requiring just one zener diode and one resistor. As long as the input voltage is a few volts more than the desired output voltage, the voltage across the zener diode will b stable.
- As the input voltage increase the current through the zener diode increases but the voltage drop remains constant-a feature of zener diodes.
- Review Questions
1) Define semiconductor.
2) What is meant by biasing of p-n junction diode?
3) What is meant by the term “barrier potential”? What is its value for silicon and germanium diodes?
4) Explain the formation of Depletion region in the unbiased p-n junction.
5) Explain the working and characteristics of p-n junction diode.
6) Compare ideal and practical diode.
7) Compare zener and p-n junction diode.
8) Zener diode can be used as voltage regulator. Justify.
9) What is rectifier? With the help of neat circuit diagram and waveform explain the operation of a half rectifier circuit. Why this circuit is called ‘half wave’ circuit?
10) Compare HW, FW and bridge rectifier.
Posted By-: Vissicomp Technology Pvt. Ltd.
Website -: http://www.vissicomp.com